Friday, March 15, 2013

Visiting a today's Maya villiage in Honduras

When in Honduras, besides visiting the Copan ruin, we also took a horse back ride to the village of La Pintade (Painted because they found painted rocks on this location). One family opened their home for us to see their living conditions (quite primitive); And we were surrounded by children from the village trying to sell us husk dolls.  The impact of poverty made all of us uneasy and wished that our interactions with the children could be different.  I asked permission to take pictures of some children.  Some allowed me to do so, and enjoyed looking at themselves through my digital camera.

I was able to observe my fellow travelers and am moved especially by the sense of graciousness and kindness of Dale and Karen; and the spirit of Donna on this trip.  Donna contrived polio when she was 4, but never was discouraged by her disability, and is always positive and happy.  Her partner Larry is a kind and considerate person.  Those foursome have been friends for 20 years.  And it certainly has been a pleasure traveling with them!

 Below is Donna on the horse back, and the shadow of me on my horse back:
 
 The homemaker whose home we visited:
 The children all have such nice smiles:

 
 
 
Sarah is 11, and speaks excellent English.  She followed me and talked to me in length in English. She told me that she walks 1.5 hours one way to go to school, and is learning English on a scholarship. I encouraged her to study hard.  I don't know why she picked me, but I was delighted to learn more about her.







No comments:

Post a Comment