Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Guimaraes, Portugal

KC and I planned to stay a bit longer after the main tour was completed.  She stayed one extra night and I stayed two extra nights.  She and I decided to visit Guimaraes based on Carmen's suggestion.  Guimaraes is about one hour train ride away and was the origin of Portugal.  This medieval town was the birth place of Alfonso, who is the father of Portugal.
 

 
 
 The tourist office used to be a prison:

 The Castle:
 A statue of Alfonso:
 The fortress built on a rock:





 Inside the chapel:
 I met four Chinese exchange students:
We then walked through down toward the cable car which will takes us to the hill top


On top of the hill is a chapel and some trails for exploration:




 
 



We then walked back toward the train station and head back to Porto.  The streets were still charming:

KC and I enjoyed coffee and cakes while watching people go by:
Tomorrow I will be all by myself and spend one last day in Porto.

No comments:

Post a Comment